Monday, July 28, 2014

Review: The Raven Boys (The Ravens Cycle #1) By: Maggie Stifvater



Title: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Published: July 30th, 2013
Source: Bought
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.

My Thoughts:

So it took me a really long time to read this book, not because I didn’t enjoy it but, it felt so heavy to me for some reason. The plot was very intricate and I tended to get a bit confused at times. In the beginning their was so many raven boys that at first I couldn’t keep straight who was who, once I got more into the story this got much easier. Between Blue and the Raven Boys the story has so many places to go and I felt like I really had to pay attention and concentrate to understand everything that was going. Maggie has a way of writing that I really feel is different from any other author that I have read, I can’t quite pin point why but, her books just have a different feel to them and The Raven Boys definitely did not disappoint me, I can’t wait to continue on with the series and find out what happens next.

Honestly I have no idea to write a summary for this book that won’t spoil or make more sense then the summary from goodreads does, so I think I just want to talk about the book in general. This book had a more dark feel, which I have come to enjoy from Stievater. Throughout the entire book I just felt this ominous prescence and I couldn’t shake it throughout the story. Blue our main character has definitely grown up different from any other teenager around. The Raven Boys eventually each became so different and they added to the story in a different way, each of them was important to the plot and I can’t wait to see how they are involved next. Gansey was the main Raven Boy that was focused on the most. He was obsessed with mythology of ley lines and figuring it all out. The one thing that still kind of confused me was the whole mythology behind this book, it was complicated and intricate and I hope to find out more as I continue on with the series. Gansey was definitely the leader and you could tell that he was the thread that held everyone together.


Overall, this review made not a lot of sense lol, but this book is one that I feel like you really have to read to experience and It is definitely something different in the YA world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...