Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: This Is W.A.R. By: Lisa and Laura Roecker





Title: This Is War
Author: Lisa and Laura Roecker
Published: July 2nd, 2013
Source: E-galley from the publisher
My Rating:  3  out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

This is W.A.R. begins with a victim who can no longer speak for herself, and whose murder blossoms into a call-to-arms. Enter four very different girls, four very different motives to avenge Willa Ames-Rowan, and only one rule to start: Destroy James Gregory and his family at any cost. Willa's initials spell the secret rallying cry that spurs the foursome to pool their considerable resources and deliver their particular brand of vigilante justice. Innocence is lost, battles are won—and the pursuit of the truth ultimately threatens to destroy them all.

My Thoughts:

I had no expectations going into This is War and I hadn't read any of the sister duo's books before, when reading this book I couldn't help but think of gossip girl and it also reminded me a bit of The Innocents By: Lili Peloquin. Full of drama and rich kids it definitely had the makings of a scandalous read but,  it left me feeling disappointed.

Willa Ames-Rowan is dead, she was the glue of her friends and a girl that everyone loved but, what really happened isn't getting pushed under the rug, James Gregory is the reason she is dead and Willa's sister and best friends are not going to let her death go unpunished. The Gregory family owns their little beach town and the club that they belong to and they have managed to pay off everyone they needed to, to keep Willa's death a secret. Madge, Willa's sister was the ringleader of their  whole plan W.A.R. , the book is told through each of the girl's perspectives, we learn what happened that fateful  4th of July weekend and also how each girl felt about Willa. I normally don't mind multiple perspectives and I usually really enjoy seeing each different side of a story but,  for me the four perspectives was just too much.  I  would get confused over which girl was which, and it was hard to really get to know each character because there was so many perspectives. My favorite character was Willa's sister Madge, she was so full of feeling and I really loved watching her character come to terms with Willa's death, I know that might sound weird to say but, her part of the book I felt like I got to see her character the most out of the four girls, she was the one who stuck in my mind once I finished the book  and she was definitely the strongest character out of all of them. Each plan the girls created to take down the Gregory family was definitely creative and intricate. I did admire the girls for all of the different ideas that they came up with because I personally don't feel like I would have been able to come up with anything at all. 

Overall, This is W.A.R. was just ok for me, if you love scandal and drama then this one is definitely for you,  full of love, loss, and redemption, This is W.A.R. was not your average rich kid drama filled story.

Want some more thoughts on This Is W.A.R., Check out the links below!

1 comment:

  1. I like the themes of loss and redemption, but not the fact that it was just an okay read for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...