Friday, February 15, 2013

Review: Nobody But Us By: Kristin Halbrook



Title: Nobody But Us
Author: Kristin Halbrook
Published: January 29th, 2013
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Bonnie and Clyde meets IF I STAY in this addictively heart-wrenching story of two desperate teenagers on the run from their pasts.

They’re young. They’re in love. They’re on the run.

Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger....

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Nobody But Us, told in alternating perspectives from Will and Zoe, is an unflinching novel, in turns heartbreaking and hopeful, about survival, choices, and love...and how having love doesn’t always mean that you get a happy ending. Described as “beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” by Kody Keplinger, author of The DUFF, Nobody But Us will prove irresistible to fans of Nina Lacour, Jenny Han, and Sara Zarr.

My Thoughts:

I was really looking forward to reading this one but, I have to admit this really wasn't my cup of tea and I was expecting something different from what I got from this book. In the summary it says Bonnie and Clyde meets If I Stay but, for me it really wasn't like either of those options.

Will and Zoe were both heartbreaking and broken characters who somehow both found each other and they were convinced that each of them could fix the other but, their plan didn't work out like they believed it would. Zoe is young only 15 or 16 I can't remember and Will is 18. Zoe has grown up in a broken home with just her father after her mother's death and he is abusive and an alcoholic. Will has grown up in the foster system and now that he is old enough he is ready to be on his own. Their destination is Las Vegas and they can't wait to get there, convinced that they can start a new life and create the kind of world that they both had wanted.  I wasn't quite sure about their relationship throughout the book, they hadn't seemed to have been dating long but, given the circumstances of both of their lives it wasn't too surprising that they decided to run off together and begin again. Will has kept many secrets from Zoe in the beginning of their road trip which definitely made the novel more interesting but just not enough for me.

I have said many times before that contemporaries are not my favorite reads but sometimes one will come along and totally surprise me. But for me this story was honestly kind of boring, I wasn't expecting the entire book to be about their road trip and although I enjoyed having the multiple perspectives of both characters it just felt like they were going round and round in circles saying the same thing only in each of their own heads. It was a haunting and heartbreaking read that really did surprise me in the end but, it couldn't make up for the lack of really anything happening throughout the entire book in my opinion.

Overall, Nobody But Us wasn't bad but, it just wasn't my type of read. I could never completely connect with the characters and even after finishing despite a surprising ending I didn't find myself caring that much what happened to these two characters at all. If you enjoy dark and gritty contemporaries then, nobody but us is definitely a read for you!

Looking for more thoughts on Nobody But Us? Check out some awesome fellow bloggers reviews!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book but I can see how it would not appeal to people who don't really like contemporaries and it's definitely on the darker side. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...