Saturday, February 2, 2013

Exposure (Twisted Lit #2) By: Kim Askew and Amy Helmes


Title: Exposure (Twisted Lit #2)
Author: Kim Askew and Amy Helmes
Published: January 18th, 2013
My Rating:  3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Double, double, toil and trouble. Sometimes, the quest for high school royalty can be deadly! In this emotionally-charged twist on Shakespeare’s Macbeth, a self-conscious shutterbug named Skye Kingston navigates a treacherous school year in Alaska fraught with unspoken secrets and tragic twists of fate. Along the way she encounters three strangely prophetic BFFs; one social-climbing, sociopathic cheerleader; and a heart-stopping hottie named Craig McKenzie: the man who would be Prom King. Can Skye save the boy she loves — and herself — before they get caught in the crosshairs?

My Thoughts:

I was really interested in reading this book after reading the first book in this series, I really enjoyed it and thought it was just a plain fun read. But, unfortunately I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first, it had some great and unique aspects to it but, it just felt like not a lot happened in this one. I have not read Shakespeare's Macbeth but, I had an idea of what happens in it and it was definitely fun to look up stuff about it and see how it compared to the book. 

Skye is your normal teenage girl, she loves photography and the feeling of being behind a camera, she works for the school paper and she doesn't stand out much. Growing up in Alaska, the sport to play  is hockey. That's where Craig McKenzie comes in, he transferred to their high school and the first person that he met was Skye, over the summer they spent a lot of time together and became close friends. But, once school began and Craig was initiated into the popular crowd, Skye felt like she didn't exist. She had a crush on Craig, but knew their wasn't anything she could do about it, Craig was dating the most popular girl in school and they were destined to become Prom King and Queen, but after a party one night everything is not as it seems and Skye may be the only one who knows the truth. 

One of the things I loved the most about this book was the setting, I have never read a book that takes place in Alaska and it was definitely refreshing while unfortunately there was as much talk about the setting as I would have liked there was a bit that definitely made me happy. I loved Skye because she seemed like such a genuine person, I felt like I knew her immediately and after all of the time you spend in her head, I knew that in real life I would want her as one of my friends. 

Craig on the other hand was a character that I didn't love until almost the end of the book, he was friends with Skye before he knew everyone else but, once he was popular he kind of let her go. He would invite her do things with him and his girlfriend but, he didn't ever actually expect her to go. It really felt like he knew she wouldn't say yes so he had no problem asking and that kind of made me dislike him a bit. 

Overall, this book wasn't a hit for me, not as fun as Tempestuous but still interesting in its own right. The book took off in the beginning with a big twist and then fell in the middle until towards the end where we get to find out more about the twist from the beginning. If you enjoy retellings and Shakespeare I definitely recommend this one!

Want more thoughts on this book? Check out some fellow blogger's reviews!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking to me :)

    I agree with you about this book-I just loved all the fun in Tempestuous but I guess it's hard to make Macbeth fun what with all the murders in the actual play and all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...