Friday, October 19, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1) By Julie Kagawa



Title: The Lost Prince ( The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Published: October 23rd, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary;

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My Thoughts:

I was immediately interested in this one as soon as I had heard about this spin off. Whenever I thought of Ethan Chase, I thought of the little boy that Meghan ran into the Never Never to save. It was still weird for me to imagine that he is all grown up now. But, I loved getting to know him and getting a few visits from some of my most beloved Iron Fey characters and also getting to know a few new ones.

Ethan has the sight and he as hated the Fey for as long as he can remember, they have tormented him and gotten him kicked out of school time and time again. They took his sister away from and have completely ruined his life in his opinion. After going to a new school again, Ethan is used to being the new kid and being alone. But, he finally meets a girl who isn't afraid of his brooding ways and won't take no for an answer. But, as much as he has tried to stay out of the Fey world he always seems to get dragged back in, as another adventure begins, new romance, and relationships begin.
Ethan was such a great character, brooding and a loner he is determined to keep everyone at arm's length in his life. He doesn't want to get close to anyone for fear of the Fey coming after them and ruining their life because he can see them. He was such an angry person in the very beginning of this book, blaming the Fey for everything. He takes a type of martial arts called Kali, that involves the use of defending yourself with weapons like sticks, swords, and knives. Anything he can do to be prepared to defend himself against them. I really felt for Ethan and I couldn't imagine having to go through life being tortured by faeries. I could really understand why he felt the way he did about them and why he kept to himself and tried not to get close to people for fear of losing them. 

Ethan's love interest is Kenzie, I absolutely love her character. She was tough and confident, she didn't let Ethan and his brooding steer her away from becoming his friend and getting to know him. She stood up to him and didn't let him push her away no matter how she treated him. She was so refreshing from some the girls in YA, she made me smile throughout the entire book and I was always rooting for her.

Kagawa has created a great beginning to her spin off, it didn't feel overdone or repetitive, it was new and fresh, but it still had the same feeling as her other Iron Fey books. We get a few cameos from the previous books, most were brief but, they still made me so happy to get a glimpse of my favorite characters after all this time. Overall, it was a great read, I don't know if I loved it as much as the Iron Fey series but, I still really enjoyed it. If you love the Iron Fey series, and faeries in general, then this book is one you will enjoy. Just as much action, adventure, and romance as her last series. Kagawa really can write anything and I know I will enjoy reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...