Saturday, May 19, 2012

Review: Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1) By: Jessica Shirvington



Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Published: March 6th 2012
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…

Look for the sequels ENTICED in September 2012 and EMBLAZE in March 2013!

My Thoughts:

This book is one of the most interesting and intricate angel books I have read in a very long time. Not to say it didn't have some of the obvious things that most angel books have, a love triangle and good vs. evil but, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with it because the  angel aspect of the story was stronger than in most of the books I have read and at sometimes it overshadowed the romance and everything else and I really enjoyed that aspect.

We first meet our main character Violet Eden ( Vi as everyone calls her) She is getting reading to turn seventeen but, it also the day her mother died giving birth to her and she never wants to celebrate it. Vi has been in the process of becoming a new person when the book begins, she does kickboxing and runs mile and miles in the morning and this is all because of Lincoln (who I assume is totally dreamy lol) Ever since he walked into her beginner's kickboxing class and became her partner they have become inseparable best friends. Of c course, Vi is in love with Lincoln but is convinced that he just wants to be friends because he has never made a move towards anything more. Vi also has her dad and her best friend, Steph. Her dad is always working and never ever seems to be around throughout the whole book. The night of her seventeenth birthday Vi decides she is going to finally tell Lincoln how she feels and figure out if he feels the same so, what does she do? she gets drunk to gather up the courage to ask so that if he says no, she can blame it on the alcohol, but, while out she dances with a mysterious man named Phoenix who will come back to haunt her in the future and Violet has to open up her mind to a whole new set of possibilities for her life. Her and Lincoln are Grigori (when I first read this I automatically remembered that Daniel from the Fallen series, his last name is this same term) Basically angel-human warriors who are to protect humans from angels who have chosen to live in human form.  Phoenix becomes a big part of Violet's life and the adventures begin.
I really liked the story that  Shirvington weaves throughout this book, I thought that most of the story to angels and grigori was very interesting although the books was a little be serious at times. I have to admit that as a main character sometimes I did not like Violet, she was one of those characters that I just wanted to yell at her through the book and ask her what she was thinking lol. I not always but usually love the bad boys but, this time I didn't, I don't know why but I never took a liking To Phoenix the second guy to the Violet and Lincoln love triangle. I instead loved Lincoln, he seemed like such a good person and at times in the book I really felt bad for me and was mad at Violet for what she was doing to him. 

Overall, if you are looking for an intricate and at times serious angel book, this one is for you. Compared to the few angel stories I have read ( Hush, Hush and the Fallen series) I thought the angel aspect of this story was awesome and really in depth compared to most. At times a little too serious for my liking but, a very good story that had me reading the whole book in just one day!

Happy Reading!
Kristin

5 comments:

  1. Great review girl! I haven't read this one yet but you made it sound so amazing!!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one in my audible que, but I keep putting it off in favor of other things. Even though I am absolutely in love with the Unearthly series, I consider that a fluke of the angel genre, given the way I felt about books like Fallen. It worries me a little that you had trouble connecting with Vi and Pheonix, but I think it's about time I stop judging a genre and give a new angel book a try!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that the angel aspect was way better done then the fallen series, because I thought in fallen they let the romance aspect overshadow everything else in the plot, and in this book they didn't.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this book. And I totally agree with you about wanting to yell at Violet sometimes. Have you seen the cover for book 2? It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved these books they were hard to put down. I wish the series never ended. I highly recommend these books.

    Grace Crawford Alaskan Fly Fishing Lodge Hoodoo River

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...